Saturday 2 August 2014

What lies beneath ‘weird’ giant cocoon?

The mystery web cocooning a plant on the side of a house in Challoner Place, Aylesbury
A homeowner has been left stumped after a huge mystery web cocooned an entire plant on the side of her house.
Judy Dunbar, of Challoner Place, Aylesbury, was alarmed to discover the 6ft tall bush completely covered in the white stuff.
She said: “It’s the weirdest thing I’ve ever seen.
“I keep thinking I’m going to wake up and find that my whole house has been cocooned!
“My neighbour thought it might be a spider’s web but I’ve not seen one. All that I can see are tiny little worms in the web.”
Judy has contacted a pest control company but they said they could not help.
She said: “I’m tempted to get my husband to jet wash it all off and cut off the plant at the root so it can’t happen again.”
The intricate web could possibly be the work of the Ermine Moth caterpillar, which weave the protective cocoon over their favourite plants to protect themselves and their food before pupating into moths.
Do you know what creature could be responsible for the cocoon? Call reporter Becca Choules on 01296 619762 or email becca.choules@jpress.co.uk.

No comments:

Post a Comment